Associate Creative Director – VMLY&R
June 2019 – Present, Kansas City, MO
VP, Marketing and Design – Grafana Labs
January 2015 – April 2019, New York, NY
Lead all aspects of marketing, design, positioning, content development, social media, communication, and event creation for Grafana, one of the most popular open source data visualization projects in the world. Grafana users include: NASA, Space-X, CERN, Intel, Microsoft, Uber, BBC News, Bloomberg, Sony, TED, eBay, PayPal, Squarespace, Wix, and hundreds of other companies.
Partner, Creative Director – Capacity
June 2014 – January 2015, New York, NY
Co-founded Capacity, a UX and design agency specializing in the technology industries, putting a laser focus on design, user experience, content development, and brand strategy. Drove client acquisition and led creative strategy, design and content development. Acquired by Grafana Labs, January 2015.
- Creative strategy, design and content development
- Project pitches
- Client acquisition
Director, Interactive Design – Internap
June 2012 – June 2014, New York, NY
Established brand direction and visual language for Internap (NASDAQ: INAP), a publicly traded, high-performance Internet infrastructure provider. Built trust with marketing leadership and took ownership of the brand at-large to establish the company as a design-forward infrastructure provider, and ensure execution was consistent across existing and new channels.
- Developed comprehensive brand style guide
- Designed iconography system and UI library
- Directed multimedia ad campaigns
- Desktop and mobile website and microsite redesign
- Designed client management portal and data visualizations
- Translated design to code
- Interior design elements and finishes for 100,000+ sq ft data center
- Oversaw design staff and freelance designers
Senior Manager, Digital Media – Equinox
September 2010 – June 2012, New York, NY
Led and executed multi-channel creative strategy for luxury lifestyle brand Equinox Fitness Clubs. Projects included brand positioning campaigns, spatial digital experiences, website design and e-commerce, mobile and rich Internet advertisements and marketing communications. Conceived digital brand strategy, implemented new technologies and identified innovative ways to elevate market position. Pitched projects and initiatives to executive team. Directed, mentored, and evaluated six direct reports, and guided marketing professionals and external agencies.
- Led development and design of large-scale e-commerce website
- Grew branding and positioning campaigns into new channels
- Spearheaded digital signage initiative, transforming in-club experience with motion & video
- Directed redesign of electronic marketing communications
- Launched popular lifestyle and fitness website
- Redesign of mobile applications for phone and tablet
- Led large design team
Coordinator for Advertising and Design | Art Director – University of Central Missouri
August 2003 – September 2010, Warrensburg, MO
Directed design staff in all marketing advertisements and campaigns supporting brand strategy. Conceived and executed engaging interactive and motion experiences, microsites and digital marketing communications, as well as traditional advertising and printed publications aimed at increasing enrollment. Built, mentored and managed talented in-house team, prioritizing and juggling multiple projects concurrently.
- Designed and developed large scale, responsive website
- Created interactive touch points, dramatically increasing engagement with alumni and donors
- Conceived and executed multi-channel positioning campaigns
- Motivated and oversaw staff of junior designers
Designer, Developer – 305 Spin
June 2002 – August 2003, Sedalia, MO
Designed and developed large-scale websites, applications, e-commerce sites, Flash environments and print advertisements primarily for clients in the music industry. Collaborated with designers and developers in satellite offices to maximize project efficiency.